Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Gym Notes 8-19-2009

The gymnastics season is off to a fantastic start. I am really excited. There is a lot of talent in the gym and there are quite a few girls new to the sport who are learning new skills and routines very quickly. It is a good mix.

1. The parent meeting is at 6:00 on Monday, August 24. It is important that all gymnasts have a parent (or guardian) attend the meeting. If this is not possible please call or e-mail me so we can discuss team policies.

2. Fund raising. I try to make fund raising as easy as possible. I have scheduled two fund raising events. One is selling concessions at the Friday, September 4th football game. It will be at Burt.com Stadium. I need 8 parents who can sell concessions on the visitor side. Volunteers need to arrive at 6:00 for a brief training, and concessions usually go until the middle of the 4th quarter. The other fund raiser I have planned is stadium clean up on Thursday, September 17, at Burt.com Stadium. Clean up usually takes an hour, and is done by the girls. It starts at the end of the football game, and we are paid $400. Also, check out the Local Value website http://localvaluefundraising.com/store/pc/ponderosa.asp Local Value returns half of each purchase to the selected program. So, if $100 of Local Value credits are bought, $50 goes to the selected program.

3. On Monday, we set team rules and goals. I think the girls did a great job with the process. I will be sharing the rules and goals at the parent meeting on Monday, August 24.

4. Choreography on floor and beam has started. I have former Ponderosa gymnasts donating their time to help with the process. I have to say a HUGE thank you to Caylee, Angela, Lenise and CheyAnne for their willingness to help out the program. I will make sure that the gymnasts who have joined the program this week get floor music and a routine.

5. Try-outs are not optional. Every gymnast will have to try-out on every event. Everyone will have a routine or skills to show for try-outs. In order for this to happen, the girls need to come to every practice on time and stay for the entire practice. I know that some girls have other activities going on, and I understand that things come up, but if they miss practice, they miss learning routines and skills and preparing for the season.

6. Team pictures have been re-scheduled for Wednesday, September 2 at 4:00. We will practice after pictures.

7. The athletic office is working on clearing athletes. I do not have a list of gymnasts who are cleared to workout and who are not. If I find out a gymnast is not cleared, she will no longer be permitted to work out. If you (or your daughter) might be in this situation, please get the forms turned in to Ponderosa tomorrow. The forms are available at .

I just want to say again how great things are going. The girls work so hard in the gym and everyone appears to be learning something. I realize the girls are sore and have bumps and bruises, but as they work through it all, I know they are learning they can push their limits and rise to even greater heights.

Please if there are any questions or comments or concerns, get in touch with me. All of my contact information is on the calendars I gave the girls on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment